Stop Leaks In Your Deck with this Easy Fix in Calgary
Mountain View Sun Deck understands that leaky decks can cause many issues for you and your family at home. Learn about how we can use a maintenance-free, roofing-grade vinyl membrane to fix this problem for you today.
Otherwise usable hot tubs leaking through a wooden deck onto a patio below is a common complaint that we receive here at Mountain View Sun Deck. The annoyance of water dripping onto your head while you’re trying to relax, along with more serious damage that persistent leakage can lead to, makes fixing this issue a priority for any and all deck owners.
Luckily for those of you who live in Calgary, we keep up with the latest in deck maintenance technology and will always provide these leading services for our customers. In this case, it is the use of a roofing-grade vinyl membrane to make sure that water never leaks through your deck in unwanted ways again.
Today, we will like to dive a little deeper into more common issues that leaky decks can bring on, what exactly roofing-grade vinyl membrane is, how it benefits you, and why Mountain View Sun Deck is Calgary’s most trusted source for this kind of outdoor deck maintenance.
What Issues Can be Caused by a Leaky Deck?
A leaky deck can cause several issues, including:
- Structural damage: Over time, water can seep into the underlying structure of the deck, causing rot, decay, and weakening of the support beams and joists.
- Mold and mildew growth: Moisture that is trapped under the deck can create an environment conducive to mold and mildew growth. This can cause health issues and damage to the deck’s materials.
- Slippery surfaces: A leaky deck can create a hazardous slippery surface, increasing the risk of falls and injuries.
- Damage to interior spaces: Water that penetrates the deck can also damage interior spaces beneath the deck, such as ceilings, walls, and floors.
- Decreased property value: A leaky deck can significantly decrease the value of a property, as potential buyers may view it as a liability that requires costly repairs.
- Insect infestations: Moisture can attract insects, such as termites, which can cause further damage to the deck and surrounding areas.
Overall, a leaky deck can cause significant damage and expense if left untreated. It is important to address any leaks as soon as they are noticed to prevent further damage and ensure the safety and value of the property.
What is a Roofing-Grade Vinyl Membrane?
A roofing-grade vinyl membrane is a type of synthetic roofing material made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It is a single-ply roofing material that is commonly used for flat or low-sloped roofs on commercial and residential buildings. The membrane is typically manufactured in large rolls, and it is installed by welding seams together to create a continuous waterproof layer.
Roofing-grade vinyl membranes are known for their durability, strength, and resistance to weathering, UV radiation, and chemicals. They can also be customized in terms of colour and texture to match a building’s aesthetic. These features make roofing-grade vinyl membranes a popular choice for roofing contractors and building owners looking for a reliable and cost-effective roofing solution.
How Can This Membrane Be Used on Your Deck?
Roofing-grade vinyl membranes can be used to waterproof decks and balconies, providing a durable and low-maintenance surface that is resistant to weathering, UV radiation, and water damage.
To use roofing grade vinyl membrane for a deck, the following steps are typically taken by Mountain View Sun Deck:
- Preparation: The deck surface should be cleaned and any damaged or rotted wood should be replaced. The deck should also be sloped slightly to ensure proper drainage.
- Installation: The vinyl membrane is then installed over the deck surface, typically by adhering it with adhesive or by mechanically fastening it to the deck surface. Any seams in the membrane are welded together using heat to create a continuous waterproof layer.
- Finishing: The vinyl membrane can be finished with a variety of materials, including wood decking, pavers, or tile. A perimeter edge detail is typically added to prevent water from seeping under the membrane.
Roofing-grade vinyl membranes can be an effective and long-lasting solution for waterproofing decks and balconies, especially in areas with high levels of precipitation or moisture.
What are the Benefits of Getting a Roofing Grade Vinyl Membrane Professionally Installed on Your Deck?
With Calgary’s sometimes harsh elements, there are several benefits to getting a roofing-grade vinyl membrane professionally installed by Mountain View Sun Deck on your deck:
- Expertise: Professional installers have the knowledge and experience to properly install the vinyl membrane, ensuring that it is done correctly and that it will last for many years.
- Quality materials: Professional installers use high-quality roofing grade vinyl membrane materials that are durable and designed to withstand the elements, providing long-lasting protection for your deck.
- Waterproofing: A professional installation ensures that the vinyl membrane is properly waterproofed, preventing leaks and water damage to the underlying structure of the deck.
- Customization: Professional installers can help you choose the right color and texture of the vinyl membrane to match the design of your home and complement your outdoor living space.
- Warranty: Most professional installers offer warranties on their work, giving you peace of mind that your deck will be protected for many years.
- Cost-effective: While professional installation of a roofing grade vinyl membrane may come at a higher initial cost than a DIY project, it can save you money in the long run by preventing costly water damage repairs and ensuring the longevity of your deck.
Getting a roofing-grade vinyl membrane professionally installed on your deck can provide many benefits and is a worthwhile investment in the safety and longevity of your outdoor living space.
Get Your Deck Built and Weather Protected by Mountain View Sun Deck
Calgary is known for its sometimes harsh climate. Whether it is intense UV constantly beating down or heavy snows in the winter, we specialize in building and maintaining decks in Calgary and have been doing so for over 20 years.
Contact us today to see how we can construct your next dream deck, maintain it, and add a vinyl membrane for any annoying leaks.